Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Happy Birthday



Today I celebrated my birthday... as an aside, I share this day with my twin brother, and one of my sons. It was nothing unusual; my brother lives several hours from me and my son usually takes center stage though he is gracious about sharing his day with me. We had a nice home cooked meal and a bit of cake, he opened his gifts and then packed up to go visit his brother and sister-in-law who live in another part of the state. I did get to renew my drivers license and get new "tabs" for our car, but that was the extent of my celebration. Well, with the exception, of all the birthday wishes I received on Facebook; now that was fun. It seems that of all the things that speak to my soul, it is the gift of relationship that does it best. I'm betting there is a connection to the fact that we are made in the image of God and like out creator and Father, relationship is foundational.

For me nothing reaches my soul more than having a solid connection with my family, all of my family. My wife, my married children; sons and daughter-in-laws, college age sons and kids still at home. The times in concert or separate I find us all striving to follow Christ fills me up. Sharing a common set of lenses to see life through; a perspective that touches lives greatest questions with His understanding. It gives me a sense of quiet surety that all is well.

Last night I had a few moments like this with my eighth son. I happened to be in the town where he goes to college and had to hang out for a bit. He took the time to sit and share his life with me. As he did I found a young man tackling issues that all young men tackle but with a steady hold on the lens of scripture and not mere cultural pragmatism. (Those things accepted as "Ok" by society but not in line with the heart of God). I left that night feeling a strong sense of connection, a shared sense of taking a run at life together. It spoke to my heart as a father and as a follower of Christ. We had a shared moment not only as family but as "body"; we were church and I was full. An important part of his process, is a ministry that values family and their part in a students life. If this is true for a collegian how much more for a younger student?

If the message of scripture says anything clearly, it says that family is the first institution in the spiritual "DNA" of an individuals life. As you deal with this foundational piece in your youth ministry, do you follow the admonition of Malachi 4:6? "He will restore the hearts of the fathers to their children, and the hearts of the children to their fathers,..." I know, you have been called to fulfill a role in the kingdom when it comes to shepherding a certain populace, but remember you are charged to do it in a manner that fulfills God's design.... Parents are as big a priority for you as the students you serve. If you aren't helping them connect to God and each other your failing. If you're trying to lead their students without their parents input and help, your an enemy.

No comments: