Thursday, October 20, 2011

A Drive-Thru, Grocery Store or Classroom; Increase Your Student Impact Quotient







“Hi Mr. Lutz”
“How are you kiddo?”
“Who’s that daddy”, my 4 year old quips, as she takes a “Timbit” from the box?
“A student from The High School”, I respond.
“You know them daddy”, she asks?
“Dad knows everyone”, replies my 9-year-old son.

I live in a small city. We’re just a few miles; like three, from a major city. I can’t go anywhere in my town without running into students who know and appreciate me. (I know, It's hard for me to believe too!) I choose to spend many days substitute teaching in our local JR. and SR. High schools. This not only gives me face time with students who I see every Sunday and many times at my home, but their friends and all who would touch their lives; teachers, administrators, and coaches.



What are ways you can gain face time and increase your ministry impact with your students? I know a student pastor who drives school bus for team events in his state and district. It’s increased his impact and attendance at events, even though his goal isn’t just attendance but transformation. Face it, there will be none of either if you don’t touch their lives. You already know many will never sit in a Sunday school class you're teaching or a youth meeting, but they will sit in a classroom or on a bus. Check with your local district to see what the standards are and jump in. Do a great job and not only will the students and parents love you, but you’ll have a chance to bless teachers and administrators as well. By the way when there’s a real need, who do you think they will call? Having a little extra cash, 'casue they pay you to do it, isn’t bad either! 


No comments: